A Community of Expats - Since 1917
The American Association of Singapore is the oldest American organization in Singapore. Established in 1917 by a small group of Americans, its primary mission was to provide community support for American residents far from home.
Most expats don’t realize that AAS was the founder and initial sponsor for most of the American community organizations in Singapore, including:
- American Women’s Association (AWA) - 1935
- The American Club - 1948
- Singapore American School (SAS) - 1956
- American Chamber of Commerce (AmCham) - 1969
- Singapore American Community Action Council (SACAC) - 1973
- Boy Scouts of America Troop 07 - chartered by AAS since 1986
- American Dragons (Dragon Boat Team) - 2005
Today, AAS is a not-for-profit association dedicated to enhancing the well-being and experience of all expats residing in Singapore. Our office is often the first point of contact for new residents and for those visiting Singapore before accepting employment. About 40% of AAS members are non-American. We are open to members of all nationalities and our office staff and activities reflect this growing diversity.