By Dr. Nenna Ndukwe, Chartered Clinical Psychologist and Director, SACAC Counselling
October 23, 2013
In order to maintain a positive momentum the following tips can be used:
- Have the right mindset Be positive and know your worth. While it can take some time to find the right job, adopting a positive attitude will assist in maintaining an optimistic outlook throughout the process.
- Set realistic goals Finding the right job can often take longer than expected. Therefore, it is important to set realistic goals by defining what type of job you are looking for and ensure your skills are aligned with the required attributes.
- Increase your profile Take the initiative to increase your visibility and job search pool through a phone call, email, recruitment fairs, networking events and job search engines.
- Acknowledge and deal with the range of emotions that you will experience during the job hunting phase. This can be achieved by sharing your concerns, hopes and dreams with family and friends. In addition, increasing uptake of support from mentors will help in keeping you on track to pursue your goal of gaining employment.
- Monitor your progress Keep a paper or e-journal to chart progress and any challenges that you encounter. This can be a means of mapping steps towards that dream job.
Career | Free CRCE eBook: What CRCE Members Have to Say
Many of us when moving from our home country usually experience doubts and fears of the unknown. The CRCE team put together a collection of interviews with CRCE members, to get their insights into settling in... Read More